PULITZER, JOSEPH. (1847-1911). Hungarian-born, American journalist, publisher and congressman. DS. (“Joseph Pulitzer”). 3pp. Legal Folio (8½” x 14”). N.p., April 7, 1887. Partially printed builder’s contract between Pulitzer and “carpenter and contracting builder” Frank S. Greene for changes to the building “known as the Provident Bank Building no. 513 Olive Street. Situated on the west line of the alley, in the city of St. Louis, State of Missouri” and which would house the St. Louis-Post Dispatch from 1888 to 1902.
An Austro-Hungarian immigrant,Republican politician and journalist, Joseph Pulitzer bought the German-American St. Louis Westliche Post in 1878, merged it with the St. Louis Dispatch and, by using it to expose corruption and injustice, made it one of the largest newspapers in the Midwest. Buoyed by its success, he bought the New York World in 1883 and implemented the same techniques he used in St. Louis to change the fortunes of the ailing newspaper. Despite his move to New York City, he retained ownership of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.
In 1888, the Post-Dispatch offices moved from Market Street to 513 Olive Street, the address in our document, occupying the premises until 1902, at which point the company moved to North Broadway and then to a state-of-the art building at the corner of 12th and Olive streets in 1918. Although the St. Louis Post-Dispatch continues to be the region’s largest newspaper, the building referred to in our document, like many earlier structures in St. Louis, has long since been demolished. Accompanied by a related typed memo signed by Greene. Folded with normal age toning and wear; in fine condition.